Thursday, April 19, 2012

remnants of a past life

Remnants, that's what we had a lot of when we moved in.

John and Joyce lived in their our house for 48 years. They were the original owners. They raised their 3 children here, and they clearly had some serious house love. They sold their home to move into an assisted living place within town. Thus, leaving behind many remnants of their long lived life to us.

Some of the remnants were & are great. We basically inherited some fully furnished rooms. We also inherited lots of random decor and objects.

Here's a small sample that got photographed before they get kicked to the curb (recycled, donated, or sold).

(this stayed!)

  

Number 1
Faux Metal Tulips
Some faux metal tulips enclosed by a miniature plastic white picket fence -at least they were in bloom all year? I've got no other explanation. They were plucked pretty fast and sent to metal flower heaven.

Number 2
Rooster Weather Vane
The rooster weather vane, sitting so proud and tall on my garage cupola. He's actually still there. I'm guessing he won't last too long after we replace the roof next year. Or maybe he will -if I decide he's charming. Thoughts?

Number 3
Mass Tassel
Just in case you couldn't tell, this is a tiny metal tassel in the shape of Massachusetts. It was found hanging from the ceiling fan in the sun room. I actually kept this. I'm not sure what I'll do with it, but for some reason it just spoke to me.

Number 4
Welcome Wreath
This pretty little wooden welcome wreath. I tried to give it to my mother-in-law, but she declined, so I gave it to Goodwill instead. I couldn't really think of a cool hip way to re-purpose or modernize it. Can you? Hopefully, it is happily welcoming others somewhere else.
Other remnants:
A Complete Set of Bedroom Furniture

  • 2 twin beds
  • chest of drawers
  • dresser & mirror
  • student desk & chair
  • nightstand
  • curtain valances
  • bedding
  • bedside lamp
  • a drawer full of matchbox cars (discovered by my little one)
I sold all the furniture on Craig's List for a great price. It was solid wood and in great shape. That was a tough decision. I kept seeing lots of transformed thrift store pieces, and I knew I was sitting on a gold mine with this set. But in the end, we just didn't need it. No matter how cool and pinterest-worthy I could make it. And most times, less is best.


Sun Room Furniture
Pretty much everything you see here. It's still waiting to be made over -something a little spray paint and fabric can fix, I just have gotten to it yet.

Washer & Dryer Set
Yep, they left us a full, working not-too-old washer and dryer set. We just purchased a brand new set we really liked, so off to Craig's List it went. (I seriously love Craig's List!)

There were lots of other things left behind, like garden statues, silk flower arrangements, Christmas decorations, less-well built furniture, a kitchen table set and chairs, and somethings we are still discovering. It's been fun.

Just so ya know, the owners started offering their belongings to us prior to closing. We told them to just leave behind whatever they wanted. So finding the treasures was not surprising, just the amount and types of things left behind. And the owners paid to have the home professionally cleaned after they moved out, so it wasn't a case of abuse or neglect, just sharing the love.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

14 comments:

  1. This was fun to read. We have rental property and I'm always amazed at what people leave behind. At first I started saving it all in a storage place...well the dressers, tables, chairs...anything I thought I could re-purpose, but I almost never get to any of it. I finally learned to donate it all. Good for you for figuring that out faster than I did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I LOVE weather vanes!! Send it to me if you don't want it!!! I used to have one, but it went with my last house and I haven't found another one yet... love, love, love them!!

    xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are about to move into a foreclosure and I have been dealing with this same notion. I feel like I am taking over a house of someone else. Sometimes I feel guilty for it, because they had no other choice but to leave. I am glad that your home's previous owners were so caring + thoughtful to you.
    And you should keep that weather vane, it is pretty awesome! I might consider spray painting it a nice, bright + glossy color.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the weather vane! You should definitely keep that! It looks so cute. As for the tulips... I've seen quite a few people who put fake flowers in their flower gardens. I don't like the look, but it would save you quite a bit of work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Laura. I’m awarding your blog with The Liebster Blog Award! Congratulations! You deserve it! Here is the link to see the post in which your blog has been featured...
    http://elegantnest.blogspot.com/2012/04/liebster-blog-award.html
    Have a great day ~ Laura

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for your sweet comments! And what a fun blog you have!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for stopping by my blog. This is a wonderful post- glad that you shared!

    ReplyDelete
  8. yor bedroom furniture looks very nice.
    I like it very much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! I would be giddy with excitement pawing through all the goodies they left behind. Whatever you do, DO NOT get rid of the weather vane! It's perfect on your charming home. (Here I am, telling you how to decorate. It does look great, though.)

    I'm a little jealous of your sunroom, too. I'm sure you'll make it look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lucky you! I wish I lived closer as my oldest is moving out and I would have been happy to buy any furniture you were willing to sell! I'm loving that weather vane, too~

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow - lucky girl!! I can't say I've ever had the fortune of having a bunch of treasures left behind, but judging by how much I love digging through garage sales, I know I would have had just as much fun as you. =] A few thoughts: I would have kept the American flag, too; Good call on the tulips, lol; I love the weather vane and the Mass tassel (they're both charming); that wreath was about a decade overdue on going to Goodwill, so I agree with you on that one.

    As for the furniture, I would have kept it (but that's because I have an unhealthy obsession with redoing furniture). If you made good money on it, then I say that all and all you came out on top!! ^_^

    ~Nicole @ www.shabbybeachnest.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh do not give away that weather vane it's great, if you don't want it I'll take it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great job, your bedroom becomes lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have a friend that the same thing happened to her. She bought a beautiful mid-century home and the man selling it let them keep what they wanted. He had been the only owner. He also left all the old hardware and cabinets that he had replaced but still kept. You are so lucky! And keep the rooster weather vane..It's so stinkin' cute!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers. Thank you for your comment. No urls please.

09 10