these sweet cakes incorporate some of the raspberries right into the shortcake
I made these little sweet treats for a last minute get together with my girlfriends the other week. They were easy to throw together, used mostly pantry items, and were fresh and summery. Definitely girl food that any guy would sneak a bit of!
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 stick cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 3/4 cup cold heavy cream
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup raspberries
- Sanding sugar (optional)
- Whipped cream and berries, for serving
- In a food processor, combine flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, salt, and butter and process until mixture resembles coarse meal, with a few pea-size pieces of butter remaining. Transfer to a bowl and stir in cream, buttermilk, and raspberries until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Divide dough into 8 portions and shape into rounds. Place, 1 1/2 inches apart, on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with sanding sugar, if desired, and freeze 15 minutes. Bake until golden brown and set, about 20 minutes. Let cool completely on sheet on a wire rack. To serve, halve and fill with whipped cream and berries.