Wednesday, July 31, 2013

diy printer shelf

Sometimes things just need to be functional, like this shelf we built for our printer. We don't have a dedicated office space, just a corner in our cozy kitchen. In fact, we bought a different computer, a monitor/computer combination, because of our lack of space.

DIY Printer Shelf built in closet


Although that helped, it still didn't leave any room for our printer. So we decided to build a shelf for it in a nearby coat closet.

Plus, I'm a shorty. (I seriously have to have stools stashed everywhere around my house.) So by building it ourselves, we accommodate my vertical challengedness.

Its not pretty, and I don't have any current plans to doll it up either. But it fixed a problem and makes our home work for us.

You'll have to forgive the photography. There isn't any natural light in our coat closet.


It was easy to build. After you gather your materials:
  1. Determine your shelf measurements and cut to size.
  2. Cut 2 of the pieces of wood the depth of your shelf
  3. Cut the other piece of wood the length of your shelf
  4. Screw the two support pieces into wall studs (important: this will support the weight of whatever is placed on the shelf.)
  5. Place the shelf directly onto the supports. It should be snug to the walls.
We used scrap wood, but you can paint it, stain it, or make it as elaborate as you want if yours will be more visible.
 
You could use this idea to customize any closet or pantry space.
 

3 comments:

  1. Love the idea of a printer shelf mines currently resting on a tall filing cabinet which makes it a hassle to get up and down for papers. I would love it if you would link up at our first linky party this Wednesday :
    http://thekoenigscreate.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seeing your shelf reminds me I would like to make a shelf in the little printer cubby of my too big pc desk. Then I could put the paper under the printer. My pc desk is a big corner jobby in a way too small room. Have to make do with what I have as there's lots of storage on the shelves above. Your post has inspired me so will have hubs take a look at it, see if he can come up with something. Happy days

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers. Thank you for your comment. No urls please.

09 10