Thursday, July 2, 2015

craigs list selling tips




I discovered Craig's List a few years back and I'm so glad I did! Lots of people know about Craig's List, but are nervous about actually using it. And who can blame them? Connecting with perfect strangers can be scary. However, after getting informed *on how to stay safe, it can open up all new kinds of home purging and DIY possibilities for you. Since my friends know I use Craig's List they often ask me how I sell things using it, this is what I tell them:
Look at the wanted section to see if anyone wants what you are selling. If so, respond and let them know you may have something they want.

Know your price. Look at similar items and to get an idea of what others are asking for similar items. This will help you determine an asking price for your local area. Also, know your numbers ahead of time so that when someone makes an offer you quickly know if its within your range, and you can negotiate from there.

Take good pictures from different angles. Use a quality camera and make sure the item is well lit and not surrounded by other items. For example, if you are selling a piece of furniture, clear it off, empty it out, and make sure your camera's focus is on the actual item. There are lots of dark blurry photos out there. People want to see what you are selling.

Be truthful about the condition of the item. Highlight any features or damage of your item. Be upfront and honest with what is wrong, broken, scratch, rusted, etc. of your item. I take close up pictures of scratches and rust. If the item is in great condition, mention that as well.

Appeal to people's sense of smell. If you are selling from a smoke-free or pet-free home, include that information in your listing. This is particularly useful for clothing, upholstered items, or any thing with fabric or materials that absorb odors.

Be descriptive in your title and in your post. The more information you provide about your item, the more targeted buyer you will attract.

Respond quickly. Pick a time that you will be available to field phone calls, texts, or emails. The sooner you respond to a buyer's inquiry, the better chance you have of selling. People are interested in the moment. At the very least, acknowledge interested buyers and make arrangements to follow up.

Keep your ad near the top. The weekend seems to be an effective time to buy and sell, so I don't post mid-week. People are generally busy with work, families, or their other commitments. I find posting early Friday catches the weekend early bird buyers.

Decide your form of payment. I always include a "cash only" statement in the post description. I don't want to deal with other people's checks. And when I'm the one buying I can plan ahead and have the right amount of cash on hand.

Stay safe and happy selling.


What would you add to my list?



*I've just referenced this one article. There are a lot more articles worth reading.

7 comments:

  1. Very good article. Thanks for publishing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made an article that is interesting.You are so amaz

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was a lot of fun and I truly had a good time reading your post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks a lot for sharing this unique informative post with us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely thrilled with the Click here service! Top-notch quality and excellent communication throughout. Highly recommend to anyone in need of professional design work.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers. Thank you for your comment. No urls please.

09 10